Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Remembering JMU Cheerleader Nick Keatts

HARRISONBURG – More than wins or touchdowns or 3-pointers, James Madison senior cheerleader Nick Keatts loved being a part of the pageantry and the show that is college athletics.

“He wanted to make all the fans in the stands excited about what was going on,” JMU cheerleading coach Kelly Moore told me Sunday. “He wanted everyone to enjoy JMU athletics as much as he did.”

I got to know Keatts as a James Madison fan, as the guy inside that puffy Duke Dog outfit, as a cheerleader, even as a part-time sports writer.

Saturday night, when I landed at Dulles Airport, I got the news that the 23-year-old Keatts had been found dead in his apartment that morning by a teammate who had come to check on him because Keatts had missed school and cheer practice Friday with a stomach bug.

“That’s a devastating thing,” said JMU football coach Mickey Matthews, who said Keatts was a close friend to a number of the football players. “It’s much more important than any football game will ever be.”

I had the drive back to Harrisonburg to think about the tragic event and what the JMU community had lost – one of the most passionate fans I’ve encountered in my nine years around the Dukes. During the team’s memorable march to the 2008 Division I-AA semifinals, Keatts came to games dressed – and face-painted – like the Joker from Batman comics and movies.

He was one of the most energetic and enthusiastic supporters for a basketball program whose Electric Zoo days have long ago browned out.

Moore said to me this weekend, “if you take a step back and look, he really is the face of JMU cheerleading.”

And that face was always smiling.

On the sideline at Madison football games, Keatts had a smile for every scoreboard occurrence.

When the Dukes were winning, he flashed a wide, beaming toothy grin that screamed, “Look at us. Look what we’re doing. How great is this?”

When JMU was losing, Keatts was still smiling, offering a wry, almost bashful grin that seemed to say, “What is going on around here? Do you believe this?”

And when the Dukes were locked in a tight battle, the kind of close contest that is supposed to unnerve fans, Keatts turned edge-of-your-seat, white-knuckle time to another chance to flash his pearly whites.

It was for those moments that Keatts saved his biggest smile, one that seemed to excitedly cry out, “What’s going to happen next?”

That’s because, more than the winning, Keatts loved being a part of the world of JMU athletics, the community that was thousands of people wearing the same color and doing the same thing – enjoying a sporting event.

If you’re a JMU fan and you knew Keatts, or even if you didn’t, when you’re sitting in the stands during a football or basketball game and, whether the Dukes are winning or losing or the game’s tied, take a moment to think about how much Nick Keatts would’ve enjoyed being there.

And smile.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice, Mike. I didn't know Nick but I'll be sure to smile for Nick next time I'm at a JMU game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know him personally, but he has brightened our lives at games for years...and I know he was Duke Dog during some of the seasons when my young son was DD's biggest fan. I haven't had the heart to tell him that part, but he knows that the JMUNation has lost the nice young man that gave him a T-shirt during a basketball game. Nice tribute, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never did see this website until today My name is Cynthia. I want to thank you all for the beautiful words you share about Nick Keatts. He is amazing to me and always will be. Everyday I find something new about Nick and it touches my heart. Nick will always be remembered in the JMU body and I know that for sure. I want to thank you Mike from the bottom of my heart for this article. I never knew this was here and Im glad I found this today I want to thank you all for holding Nick in your hearts

    Cynthia Burns Nick Keatts Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This is amazing. He truly touched the lives of so many. It's crazy and amazing to see how he was as a college student. I met Nick in high school. He had the same energy back then! I swear he is half the reason we went to states and WON AS STATE CHAMPIONS! He led the whole crowd in cheering on our football team! He was the leader of our FCA and had a passion for Christ and getting students involved in the program. He got me into it and I am forever grateful for the things he taught me. He had so much courage. He was one of the best men I knew! I know he is sitting by the Lord and I know why he was taken. The Lord needed him. His work as an Angel here on earth was done. And wow what an impact he made on all of us who crossed his path. I will forever pray for his family and mother because they lost one of the greatest men to walk this earth. My love for Nicholas developed when I was 14 and I am 24 and it still grows! I will never forget this amazing soul! Happy Birthday Nick!
    -Kirstin

    ReplyDelete