Thursday, September 22, 2011

CAA Picks: Week 4

HARRISONBURGBandwagons. I’m jumping off William & Mary’s until the Tribe settles on a quarterback. I’m hopping on with James Madison, Richmond and Towson. (Yeah, that says Towson).

But what about the CAA’s big mystery team – Old Dominion? The Monarchs could be great. They could be lousy. Don’t pretend to know based on what they’ve done to date. Talk to me after a few weeks of CAA play. For now, I’ll jog alongside the unbeaten ODU bandwagon, keeping pace but not grabbing a seat just yet.

Who’s on my bandwagon? I went 6-2 last week and am 22-5 on picks this year. Let’s pick up some more followers this week.

Here are this week’s picks…

Old Dominion at Delaware: We’ll start with this one even though it’s a tough-y. That’s not me talking. That’s got to be ODU’s reaction to drawing Delaware in its CAA opener. A trip to Newark is no easy chore, even if Hens fans tend to be a little on the geriatric side. And Delaware’s team? It’s good.

Offensively, the passing game is still a work in progress, but the talented tailback Andrew Pierce and the line should be able to move the ball on Old Dominion. Defensively, the Blue Hens will give the Monarchs and quarterback Thomas Demarco a whole different level of competition.

It’s hard to predict ODU games until I see them play. I don’t know how good they are. I know about the Hens. For now, I’m sticking with an oldie and a goodie.

PICK: Delaware 20, ODU 16

Massachusetts at Boston College: I really like UMass this year, but this week? It runs the ball well, plays great defense and has apparently figured things out at quarterback. This is not a strong Boston College team, so the Minutemen – headed to Division I-A (yes, the MAC technically counts) – should be thinking upset.

The last time the teams met was 2007, when Boston College won 24-14. This year they get closer. In fact, they win.

PICK: UMASS 27, BC 24

Fordham at Rhode Island: Speaking of bandwagons, I was all over Joe Trainer’s Rams as the sleeper pick in the CAA. Now they’re 0-2 after a one-score loss at Syracuse and shootout loss to UMass. My hopes for URI haven’t diminished any, but to be in the hunt for a playoff bid, they’ll have to get by Fordham.

A year ago, Fordham nipped Rhode Island by two. This time around, Rhody gets revenge with a big game from quarterback Steve Probst.

PICK: Rhode Island 31, Fordham 17

New Hampshire at Richmond: I didn’t expect the Spiders to be this good. And when they went through their pre-season drama – with Latrell Scott literally steering them off course – I figured they’d be even worse. Boy was I wrong. How about a 3-0 start going into CAA play.

New Hampshire’s defense has not played well yet this season, but its offense – behind new quarterback Kevin Decker – is coming on strong. It’s a third straight road game to open the year for UNH. The Wildcats won’t head home empty-handed.

PICK: New Hampshire 27, Richmond 21

Colgate at Towson: Sorry Towson. For all the reasons I thought you’d beat Villanova, I still couldn’t pull the trigger and pick you guys a few weeks ago. I won’t make that mistake again.

New quarterback Grant Enders is a weapon and these ain’t your grandfather’s Tigers. Heck, they’re not even your fathers or your older brothers. There legit. No, I don’t think they’ll contend for a CAA title this year but they should be more than a Patriot League foe can handle.

PICK: Towson 27, Colgate 17

Penn at Villanova: This is the eighth straight year the two teams play and almost every meeting has been ultra-competitive. Villanova, however, has won each one of those. That could change Saturday. When the youngest – and, consequently least competitive – Wildcats team of Andy Talley’s tenure plays Penn in what could be Villanova’s last best chance to get a win this year. Lose to the Quakers and VU could be staring 0-11 in the face.

I picked the Wildcats to find a way to get by Towson. They didn’t. I trusted they could handle Monmouth. They couldn’t. This week?

PICK: Penn 24, Villanova 21

James Madison at William & Mary: This is the big one in the CAA this week. The Dukes – long known for their defense – have struggled to slow opponents down this year. The Tribe – with its reputation for big-time offense – has been punchless offensively so far.

A JMU defensive player told me this week he thinks the Dukes’ defense is ready to put things together. He said it just took a few weeks to adjust to the new 4-3 scheme the team is playing.

W&M? They don’t seem any closer to figuring things out on offense. JMU will be able to handle the ridiculously-talented Jonathan Grimes because the Tribe has no passing attack to take heat off him.

Offensively, JMU has found its stride behind the powerful and speedy running of Dae’Quan Scott, who has posted back-to-back 100-yard games.

Pick: JMU 24, W&M 10

No comments:

Post a Comment